Welcome to MakerHome




We've completed our yearlong print-a-day project!
All new material is now at Hacktastic: www.mathgrrl.com


Saturday, March 1, 2014

Day 187 - Spirograph

Thank you so much, Hercemer, for making a 41 Piece Spirograph collection available on Thingiverse!


Thingiverse link: http://www.thingiverse.com/make:68162

Settings: MakerWare .3mm/low on a Replicator 2, but my build platform is still a bit warped so I had trouble printing any rings larger than the blue one pictured here. I think it may be time to consider buying a new platform.

Stuff to change: I couldn't get the rectangular and triangular gears to work very well, but that may be because I needed a different size of large ring, or because I used "low" instead of "standard" layer height. More experimenting later!

2 comments:

  1. it s a shame! i have 187 days of late!
    it's so much fun and instructive!
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We printed the larger rings as well (thank you, old medicine cabinet door mirror for providing a nice flat build platform!) but the odd-shaped gears are still troublesome. Of course, I remember them being exactly like that with my original Spirograph back sometime in the 1970s. The one thing that I found worked a little better was putting the ring gear upside-down (first printed layer facing up), I think the initial slightly-squished layer keeps them from fitting together well when both are facing the same way.

    ReplyDelete